Applying for I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

Before USCIS can begin processing an application for a Family based residency or an immigrant visa application, the Petitioner must first show that the alien relative they are applying for meets the eligible relationship criteria required by the application.

US Citizens and Permanent Residents may only Petition for certain types of relatives. Us Citizens may apply for their spouse, child, parent, or sibling. Permanent Residents, on the other hand, may only apply for their spouse and children.

To begin the residency process, Petitioners must first submit an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative and provide proper supporting documentation to confirm the relationship between the petitioner and the alien relative.

USCIS will review your supporting documents such as official birth and marriage records as well as other supporting documentation submitted to establish that your relationship is real and not falsified for the purpose of receiving an immigration benefit.

Let Elevated Family Law and our Family Immigration Attorney, Michelle Lee Hornsby, help you to determine your family member’s eligibility and to put together the best supporting application and documentation to establish your qualifying relationship.

The information ion this page is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this page should be construed as legal advice from Elevated Family Law or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.